At Bahía del Duque we implement strategies that encourage sustainable tourism practices. The wellbeing of our employees, the environmental protection and collaboration with the local community are very important for us. Sustainability is a main part of our philosophy and that is why we feel the responsibility to work to make a better world possible.
Proof of our commitment to sustainability, prevention and continuous improvement are the different certifications we hold:
Bahía del Duque represents a big family and as such we take care of one another. We believe that the wellbeing of our staff is a key factor for our development. We encourage a quality working climate, aware of the great importance of the work of each of the employees for our business success.
- We have a sustainability committee with the participation of staff from all profiles and departments.
- We provide more than 5000 hours of training a year.
- We implement talent management strategies.
- We have created the Duqui study scholarship for the children of employees.
- We have an employee recognition programme, with incentives for the employees who are the most valued by clients and the company.
- Every year we celebrate a Christmas Party for all the employees and a Father Christmas Party, for the children of employees.
- We have a recognition programme for the people who have spent 10 years at the company.
- We congratulate and give gifts to our employees on their birthday and when they have births in their family.
- We carry out working environment surveys and performance assessments.
Our commitment to the environment
We are aware of the need to minimise our footprint and we are deeply involved in reducing our consumption, emissions and waste, and preserving the environment through the rational use of natural resources.
- We have a sustainability technician who leads and builds our environmental strategy.
- We maintain and improve our Environmental Management System and publish the results each year.
- We carry out ongoing monitoring and measuring of our emissions, consumption and waste.
- We encourage the circular economy for the waste we produce.
- We encourage a second life for materials, by donating items in good condition.
- We have reduced our island water footprint thanks to the desalination of seawater.
- We encourage the consumption of local km 0 products.
- We have our own vegetable garden, which meets the criteria for organic farming and it supplies some of our restaurants.
- We continuously train and raise awareness in our team regarding environmental matters.
- Each year we promote corporate volunteering actions to protect the local environment.
- Each year we participate with the “Earth Hour” environmental action organised by WWF.
- We separate our organic waste, which, after composting, is used in the production of zero-mile produce.
- We have provided recharging points for electrical vehicles, using renewable energy.
- We award the involvement and creativity of our staff with the competition “CIO + Sustainable”, aimed at the promotion of sustainable practices.
- Carbon Footprint Certificate
Our social responsibility actions
Social action is implicit in our corporate culture. We promote social development, through our commitment to the community. We establish links with local associations and actively collaborate with them; we encourage corporate volunteering among our teams; we encourage the hiring of disabled people; and we disseminate culture and local traditions as the hallmark of the destination.
- Alongside our clients, we have collaborated with the NGO Ayuda en Acción for over 20 years through the project “What can you do with €1?” by sponsoring 40 groups of children in disadvantaged regions in 9 countries and thus helping to improve the quality of life in their communities. The hotel staff also stay in touch with the children through letters.
- We manage the sale of items produced by different charitable associations in our stores Sunrise and Sunset, with all the profits going to them.
- We promote social talent with the sale of several local designers in our stores.
- The employees organise charity furniture markets at the hotel and the money raised is donated to different social bodies.
- We hold a master class in the kitchen organised within the cooking course of the foundation Fundación Canaria el Buen Samaritano, run by chefs at the hotel and the restaurant team.
- We donate non-perishable food to social bodies.
- We organise food collections once a year among employees for associations of people at risk.