At Bahía del Duque we implement strategies that encourage sustainable tourism practices. The wellbeing of our employees, the environmental protection and collaboration with the local community are very important for us. Sustainability is a main part of our philosophy and that is why we feel the responsibility to work to make a better world possible.
Bahía del Duque represents a big family and as such we take care of one another. We believe that the wellbeing of our staff is a key factor for our development. We encourage a quality working climate, aware of the great importance of the work of each of the employees for our business success.
- We have a sustainability committee with the participation of staff from all profiles and departments.
- We provide more than 5000 hours of training a year.
- We implement talent management strategies.
- We have created the Duqui study scholarship for the children of employees.
- We have an employee recognition programme, with incentives for the employees who are the most valued by clients and the company.
- Every year we celebrate a Christmas Party for all the employees and a Father Christmas Party, for the children of employees.
- We have a recognition programme for the people who have spent 10 years at the company.
- We congratulate and give gifts to our employees on their birthday and when they have births in their family.
- We carry out working environment surveys and performance assessments.
Our commitment to the environment
We are aware of the need to minimise our footprint and we are deeply involved in reducing our consumption, emissions and waste, and preserving the environment through the rational use of natural resources.
- We have an environmental technician who leads and builds our road map against climate change.
- We work to implement ISO 14001/EMAS.
- We constantly train our team on environmental awareness.
- We promote actions aimed at encouraging the circular economy.
- We collaborate with different environmental associations to clean beaches and seabeds.
- We encourage the consumption of local km 0 products.
- Each year we participate with the “Earth Hour” environmental action organised by WWF.
- We have our own vegetable garden, which meets the criteria for organic farming and it supplies some of our restaurants.
- We support organic farming through the project “Buscándome las Habichuelas” (Looking for my Beans) by Cáritas Diocesana.
- We have provided charging points for electrical vehicles with renewable sources of energy.
- We have reduced our island water footprint thanks to the desalination of seawater.
- We award the involvement and creativity of our staff with the “CIO + Sostenible” competition, aimed at compiling sustainable management ideas.
- Carbon Footprint Certificate
Our social responsibility actions
Social action is implicit in our corporate culture. We promote social development, through our commitment to the community. We establish links with local associations and actively collaborate with them; we encourage corporate volunteering among our teams; we encourage the hiring of disabled people; and we disseminate culture and local traditions as the hallmark of the destination.
- We contribute to improving the living conditions of children, families and communities in disadvantaged regions internationally, thanks to collaboration over 21 years with Ayuda en Acción (Help in Action) sponsoring 40 children through our project “What can you do with 1 Euro?”.
- We manage the sale of items produced by different associations in Drugstores, with all the profits going to them.
- The employees organise charity furniture markets at the hotel and the money raised is donated to different social bodies.
- Each year we hold a cooking masterclass run by the hotel´s chefs and the restaurant team for training aimed at empowering young people at risk of being excluded from work in Tenerife.
- We donate non-perishable food to social bodies.
- We organise food collections once a year among employees for associations of people at risk.